Identifying and removing barriers to treatment
The use of medication, in combination with counseling and other supports, is widely recognized as an effective way to treat substance use disorders.
Organizations that endorse use of medication-assisted treatment for substance use disorders include:
- American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence, Inc.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Office of the Surgeon General of the United States
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Buprenorphine is one of the medications approved by the U.S. Federal Drug Administration for treatment of opioid use disorders.
The NIATx Buprenorphine Implementation Toolkit provides an overview of how organizations can use NIATx practices and tools to implement or improve a buprenorphine treatment program.